We are a family with three 'wee winkles' exploring the pleasures and perils of educating at home using Scripture, Montessori and a lot of love!

Thursday 16 February 2012

All about me!!

As part of starting off the year, I decided to focus on the children themselves; their characteristics, where they live and such like to ease them into the idea of doing activities and things again after the break over summer.

We started off with a couple of projects.
I got the children to lay down on a sheet of newsprint, traced around them then had them paint themselves.
Then we stuck them to the wall with a little plaque featuring their names, ages, favourite colours etc.

Then we did a collage of favourite things.
Lamb and I spent some time searching google images for pictures of things he likes (the beach, walking in the bush, haloumi, dinosaurs and lightening McQueen among other things) then he cut the pictures out and stuck them on his collage.
I searched Cherry's favourite things for her and she was excited to see the little collection of things she loves. She sat at her collage for a lot longer than Lamb arranging things on the page.
Her list included Jessie from Toy Story2, rabbits, mango and inari.
These collages went up on the wall next to the outlines of themselves that they painted. All the children that have come into our house since have measured themselves against the two children on the wall and commented on whether or not they like a particular thing on the collages.

I also made this up.
I have seen a similar idea on several different blogs but I'm sorry to confess that I have not noted down where. One version was with little boxes that you could stack on top of one another but I just cut out different sized circles from card sticking pictures that I got from the internet and holding them together with a ring.
We've been going through country, state, city, suburb and home address during circle time. 





No comments:

Post a Comment